Thursday, June 25, 2015

My Summer Reading List

Y'all, I cannot believe I only have 2 weeks of summer break left. We got out May 23rd and go back for professional development July 13th. Kids start back August 3rd. Such a short summer!

Anyway, I have been doing a lot of reading this summer in my free time. I really try and keep it up during the school year, but most of the time, I just pass out when I lay my head on the pillow!


I am linking up with Lucky to Be in First and sharing some books I have read, am reading, and want to read!


First up, here are some books that are on my "To Read" pile. 


1. The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing by Marie Condo. I read about this book on one of my favorite lifestyle blogs enJOY it. I consider myself an organized person, which is why I think reading about organizing appeals to me!

2. Great Habits Great Readers by Paul Bambrick-Santoyo. I have read Driven by Data and Leverage Leadership, also by Bambrick-Santoyo and I'm excited to dig into this book that a co-worker lent me.


3. Teach Like a Pirate by Dave Burgess. So many people have been raving about this book that it had to go on my must-read list.


4. Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. This book is on my shelf because my boyfriend owns it and highly recommends it. It's about a serial killer at the World's Fair.


5. Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee. To Kill a Mockingbird was one of my favorite books I read in school and so I am excited to read this.


6. Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll. The cover of this book grabbed me when I was in Bthe bookstore a few weeks ago and the back cover blurb only got me more interested. I love that these are strategies we teacher in Reading Workshop and here I am doing it in real life. It goes to show you the importance of teaching good reading habits that can be used for a lifetime.

Now here for some recommendations for you!

1. Life, Animated by Ron Suskind. This is one of the most amazing, impactful books I have ever read. It is about a boy with autism who learned to communicate with his family through Disney dialogue. 

2. Growing Readers by Kathy Collins. I have been working my way through this book this summer and have been scribbling all over the margins. I am writing some curriculum for Reader's Workshop this summer and have used many ideas from this book.

3. Hope Against Hope by Sarah Carr. Nearing the 10 year anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, it is important to reflect on where we have come from in education in New Orleans and where we still have to go. This book has powerful stories from various perspectives.

4. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling. This book made me laugh out loud. I adore Mindy Kaling (thank goodness Hulu picked up The Mindy Project) and she did not disappoint. I can't wait for her new book to come out.

5. Yes, Please by Amy Poehler. I clearly love books by funny women. I listened to this one on a long road trip and it was fantastic. I am not a mother, but I found her experiences becoming and being a mother telling and hilarious.

What's on your reading list this summer? Be sure to link up with Lucky to be in First to share!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for all of these great suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  2. Love your list of books! Can't wait to read Harper Lee's latest!!

    Slainte,
    ☘ Molly
    Lucky to Be in First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thanks for the great linky!

      Delete